In the early 1840s, itinerant preachers provided non-sectarian services for the neighbors in the Saundersville and Inglefield communities. Mr. John Ingle and his wife, Martha, deeded one acre of property on Old State Road to the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church for erecting a small white frame church in 1867. It cost $1,800. The name was changed to Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Methodism in America and was a member of a four-point charge. The 1893 records indicate an active Sunday School, and the church continued to grow. In 1953, Centenary became a member of a two-point charge with McCutchanville Methodist Church. An educational unit was completed in 1955, giving the small white frame church an adjoining gym with a stage and kitchen facilities in the basement. In 1959, Centenary became a one-point charge, and a parsonage was built near the church.
In August, 1963, the white frame sanctuary was razed and the building of the stone sanctuary and additional educational unit was begun. The Consecration Service was held on April 5, 1964. In 1968, the merger of the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church was formalized. The official name of Centenary became Centenary United Methodist Church. In the year 2000, Centenary met another challenge. More space was needed for new programs in the church and the community, and the Family Life Center was completed in 2001.
More photos are located on the Photos Page.